Archeology in the Interior of British Columbia:

I was employed as a field technician, for two different natural resource departments in 2018/2019, doing archeological surveying and collecting field data.

In 2018, my home community Simpcw employed me as a student field technician. Before starting fieldwork, I completed a mandatory archeological inventory and CMT training certificate. Through this certification, I learned valuable skills in archeological surveying. Such as, identifying and interpreting site locations, collecting/ recording field data. Working alongside people in professions such as, archeology and biology gave me new insight into how sustainable management practices can be done.

The following year, (2019) I was employed at the Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc natural resource department. I was able to partake in excavating units (EUs) and dug many sample plots. Shovel testing for artifacts gave me a new appreciation for how Indigenous peoples lived a very sustainable lifestyle.

Research at Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada:

During the summer of 2017, I had the amazing opportunity to work in the tree-breeding program at Research & Development Centre for Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC) in Summerland, BC. In the course of 4 months, I gained experience in a wide variety of lab techniques and data collection under the supervision of an amazing team. We collected samples in the morning and ran tests like, checking pH to test acidity levels in the afternoon.

Through my employment with Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC)
research facility in Summerland, I acquired unique insight to sustainable practices for Canadian agriculture. The implications of climate change were widely talked about at the station, and the impacts it would have on Canadian agriculture. Changing temperatures would be detrimental to fruits/vegetables. The researchers I worked with, hoped to mitigate the effects of climate change by developing effective and sustainable practices for farmers and improving irrigation for water conservation. Producing new methods of management techniques will ensure a more sustainable future in agriculture.

The end of the year was celebrated with a potluck-style BBQ with the entire Tree Fruit Breeding and Germplasm Development program

Video Credit: Megan Graham