Volunteering at TRU

Indigenous Student Mentorship Program

During the 2019 Fall semester, I volunteered as an Indigenous mentor. Planned events for Indigenous students such as, game night for Halloween and supported students through ‘long night against procrastination’. Ensured Cplul’kw’ten (gathering place for Indigenous students) was kept open for students to study at least once a week. During which, I would often instigate conversations on ways to be sustainable, both at home and on campus. As a mentor, advocating for sustainability and allowing for constructive conversations about sustainability to take place is essential, in being a leader and for finding different ways to attain sustainability. 

I was also responsible for tutoring and supporting first year students transitioning to life in university and shared techniques in waste management and ways to save money by making eco-friendly decisions, at home.

Future Students Ambassador

In the Fall semester of 2018, I volunteer for the Future Students Ambassador program. The program taught me valuable skills, such as, public speaking for a student panel and tours, as well as the ability to coordinate with a team of other fellow ambassadors; also as an ambassador, I researched TRUs stance on environmental sustainability and found that they made a commitment to reduce GHG emissions, which is a huge move towards environmental sustainability. I learned and shared, with incoming students, TRUs commitment to action toward climate change — reducing waste and water/ energy consumption is a prime example of TRUs commitment. During the student tours, I would place emphasis on TRU’s commitment on sustainability, such as its zero-waste program which separates different types of waste for recycling; and I would take the time to point out the diversity of plants located on campus; placing emphasis on the importance of diversity in the environment.

Indigenous Science Camp

In the summer of 2019, I was asked to chaperone the Aboriginal Youth Summer Camp in Science and Health Science. It was an amazing experience, working and inspiring youth from across BC. There were lots of activities planned for the 4-day science camp. Some of the activities included a fisheries workshop and a Science World live show. We were able to engage in conversations with Jeremy Sterling (NRSc alumni) on what sustainability in fisheries looks like — some examples included, not overfishing and respecting the spawning (reproductive) season.

To incorporate Indigenous knowledge, a herbal medicine workshop was also done by the students.

I actually attended the camp as a high school student in 2014 — I still remember the chaperones and the impact they had on me.

Social Organization:

Youth Advisory Council (YAC)

I currently sit on an advisory council for Indigenous former youth in care. We work directly with Secwépemc Child & Family Services Agency (SCFS) on providing valuable input, in regard to the care of Indigenous youth in care. The last 3 years have given me insight to how policies and procedures are done. It has also given me the opportunity to share my experience as a former youth in care – to help create better standards for social work practices.

As a member of the YAC, I have been involved with conversations regarding the revitalization of traditional practices for Indigenous youth in care. During a discussion with our Elder representative (Louisa C), we found that having a connection to the land is crucial in restoring traditional practices. We discussed the ways to reconnect Indigenous youth back to the land while maintaining a sustainable mindset. Collecting berries and medicinal plants is better for the environment; lowers overall carbon footprint and connects youth to the land.